Friday, December 11, 2009

There's No Place Like Home


Call me Dorothy. I'm wearing ruby slippers today chanting "there's no place like home". You just can't appreciate how truly blessed you are until you've spent time away.

I've gotten to snuggle by a fire with my crew at home, sleep in my own bed, wash my own clothes, drive myself where I needed to go, prepare my own food, . . . simple things that I have been aching to do the past two weeks. I'm not even going to think about my to-do list that is longer than Santa's. Brad leaves for Guatemala Sunday morning so this weekend we're just going to enjoy our time as a family.

I was so proud of Brad and the kids for how well they handled things while I was gone. Everyone was alive (including the tree frogs), the house was in order, and Brad had even hung some Christmas lights outside to greet me when I came home. The only thing that was neglected was the lint tray in the dryer, but that means that someone was doing laundry. Whooo hooo!

The only cloud on my yellow brick road is that Daniel still isn't here to make memories with us. But we did get great news that we finally got our signatures on our certifications. A paralegal is in Chimaltenango right now with the hopes of quickly getting Daniel's new birth certificate.

One pot of gold at the end of this rainbow is the sweet time Daniel and I had. I was able to talk to him on the phone last night and I can tell that there's a special bond that wasn't there just two weeks ago. As much as I hate to see Brad go, I know he'll also get this rare one-on-one time to get to know his new son. It's pure gold.

Thanks for your continued love and prayers.

So Grateful,
Kathie

4 comments:

Mamita J said...

Kathie,

I found your blog through Lisa's over at A Bushel and a Peck. Your son is beautiful. We adopted a daughter from Guatemala 18 months ago. She is now 6. Our process was also over 2 years, with lots of snags.

I pray your son does get to come home by Christmas. Hang in there.

God bless,
Julie

PS. I was reading that you missed the Christmas music and Christmas lights back home, but did you enjoy the Christmas fireworks every night in Guatemala? The first night we heard them, we were out in the country. I thought it was small arms fire --- but it was just revelers celebrating Christmas in a different way than we do here. :-)

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Oh Kathie, how difficult it must have been to leave Danile behind....and difficult to spend time without your other 3 children so close to the holidays.

Our road to Ellie had different hurdles, but there were many of them. It is amazing how great my faith would seem and how quickly it would shake when another stumbling block crossed our path.

His strenght is perfect, and I pray you feel it. May the Prince of Peace be your peace, and may our God do exceeding abundantly more than you can ask or think.

Robbie
in south Georgia

sierrasmom said...

Saw your post on Linny's!! Not to many of us "Kathie"s around!! I will pray your son comes home soon!!!I will sign on as a follower!
Kathie in NY

Anonymous said...

hoping you are able to have your family together soon..

following via mbc...hope you can follow back..