Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Psalm 18:1-2--"Shelter"

We've had a busy weekend with Ava dancing in a ballet, Brad at a work function (returning tonight), Olivia elbow deep in a science fair project, and Daniel and I fighting head colds. When I posted last week's song by Need to Breathe, I didn't realize that I would be chanting that group's name by Thursday.

It's Oscar Night and although the only movies I've seen this past year have been animated (and most of them I saw in Spanish when I was in Guatemala), we like to have our own party. The kids dress up and walk the "red carpet"--which right now is Brady's Thomas the Train blanket. Our Academy Awards dinner was bow tie pasta with "red carpet" marinara sauce, green bean almondine and garlic bread. We finished with "Yes, We're Bananas" splits for dessert. Daniel (well, all four) loves the silly things we do around here.

Here are a few pics taken by the paparazzi. I decided to share these on Snapshot Sunday where Stefanie from Ni Hao Y'all and other bloggy folks share their favorite photos from the day. She shared a sweet photo about togetherness and as I watched my girls help dress up the boys (complete with a lot of hair gel), that's the word that kept coming to mind. After waiting two and a half years to get Daniel home, "togetherness" is one beautiful word. (And after this long weekend, "bedtime" is another good one.)

Ni Hao Y'all









Since this is the first time Daniel has been sick since coming home (although he sure did perk up for Oscar night), it's been nice to pamper him. A little Vicks vaporub on the chest, cold washcloth on the head, spoonfuls of medicine, and large doses of love. Brad asked him the other night if being home was what he thought it would be. His response: "Oh, it's so much better than I ever expected." It makes me feel good knowing that he feels his home is a refuge, just like the verse he quoted in one of his letters before coming home.

Which is this week's Scripture:

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer: my God is my rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:1-2

God's refuge--when I am sick, when I am hurting, when I am afraid--oh, it's just so much better than I ever expected (to quote one very special little boy).

This week's dessert of song is a beautiful one by Sandra McCracken. There are a lot of great songs about God being our refuge and shelter but I chose this one because you may not have heard it before. I just love her voice. My weekly selection is limited to those listed on playlist.com. If you like this one, be sure to check out others by her and her husband Derek Webb.

Thanks for coming to dinner. Sorry it was thrown together and reheated in the microwave. I'm heavily medicated. (The idea behind Sunday Dinner is here.) I'm now going to close my laptop, fold a pile of laundry, and see who wins best actor/actress/picture. (That is unless the cold meds knock me out.)

May you find shelter and refuge in the coming week.


More Than Lots,
Kathie

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh they look adorable! What a family fun idea for Oscar night.

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!

Stefanie said...

I can see a lot of 'togetherness' in your crew... what a beautiful bunch they are :)
P.S. We love the word 'bedtime' around here as well ;)
Thanks for sharing your Snapshot!!