Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Matthew 10:39--"Legacy"

Okay. I don't know about the rest of you, but I "fall back" with daylight savings much better than I "spring forward." I'm really missing that extra hour right now.

This post is kind of a P.S. to yesterday's. As I chew on God's plan for our life, I keep coming back to something Jesus said that is actually recorded in all four gospels. Since Matthew comes first, I'll use his quote for this week's Sunday Dinner scripture.

Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:39, NIV

I guess that's what I've been chewing on lately. Exactly how does God want me to lose my life for His sake?

I plan to share later this week what my mother's last words were to me. Just four words, but profoundly life-changing. I know each day I'm shaping what kind of mom my kids will remember. I'm deciding what kind of legacy I'll leave to my grandchildren. I'm choosing what kind of difference I'll make for eternity.

Most days I feel profoundly flawed and inadequate. Like that funny little butter knife in a drawer of fabulous forks and spoons and knives with serrated edges--I'm just sitting there trying to figure out what I was made for. I want to be used in a mighty way, yet I'm comfortable just hanging with the butter while it softens at room temp. Kind of a "here am I, send me . . . anywhere but the mission field, or to a country that requires a flight with a layover, or to parent a child with significant needs." Such a pitiful offering to the Lord to say I am willing to lose my life figuratively, but hold on for dear life all that gives me comfort and security.

I did catch a glimpse of a bit of my legacy the other day that made me smile. I came downstairs to find Daniel and Ava were already awake. They were sitting together looking at the computer. I figured they were playing some kind of game and panicked for a minute that they had been surfing the web without me. But as my near-sighted eyes got closer, I discovered that they were looking at an adoption photolisting. I asked what they were doing and they simply said, "We're looking for more brothers and sisters." They were so focused on their mission that I was able to take this pic and they didn't even notice.



This week's song is an old favorite of mine--Nichole Nordeman's "Legacy." This week may you be challenged to lose your life for Christ's sake and make a difference for eternity.

More Than Lots,
Kathie

1 comment:

Kim said...

Love the Legacy song, love the verse and love this post!