Monday, July 12, 2010

The Sweetest Sound

I had planned on posting a Sunday dinner last night after our busy weekend, but a thunderstorm hit and my kiddos needed comforting. I thought I'd pull a Julie Andrews and started singing to them "Sound of Music" style. My goal was not to soothe them with my talent, but to entertain them with my lack of talent.


It worked. I soon heard giggles in response to my tone-deaf version of "My Favorite Things." Then I dusted off every lullaby from when the kiddos were younger. I had all four piled in the boys' room for this little concert. But it wasn't long till I heard Ava sniffling back tears in the top bunk with Brady. I asked what was wrong and she said, "I'm sad because Daniel never had you to sing to him when he was little."


Oh my. I have already grieved over the same kinds of losses. Eight years missed of being his mom. Eight years missed of him having a mom.


I looked at Daniel as I sat next to him in the bottom bunk. His face was easy to see because even though the lights were out, we have enough nightlights to give the room that "prison break glow."


I could tell Ava's words were being processed in his head. So I quickly responded with, "Don't be sad, Ava, because Daniel's not missing a thing. He has us now, surrounded by a family who loves him and a mom who has a voice that's so dreadful she can drowned out the sound of thunder." Daniel chuckled.


I continued by belting out "You Are My Sunshine" and finished with "God Is So Good." The eyelids began to get heavy and I knew an encore would not be needed.


As I was leaving the room, I heard Daniel say, "Mama, I think you have the most beautiful voice I ever heard."


You don't need the ability to sing in perfect pitch to be able to hear the magnificence of such precious words. I walked back over to his bed and kissed him one more time on the forehead. With a huge lump in my throat I mustered up, "Thanks, sweetheart. I just love being your mama."


His loving words helped me to not regret the time lost, but cherish the moments now.


The belated dinner of scripture for this week is:

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Proverbs 16:24





The song of dessert is "Sweet Sweet Sound" by Sarah Reeves. I have a mental list of singers under the heading "Please, God, when I get to heaven could I sound like. . . . " Sarah Reeves is on that list.


May your own life be filled with the sweet sounds of those God has blessed you with and may you offer up your own sweet sounds to Him of thanks.

More Than Lots,
Kathie

9 comments:

trustandobey said...

So sweet and how wise of you to cherish the present and look forward to the future! God can restore the lost years for all orphaned children.
Isn't it great when our voices are appreciated by our little ones. I, too, cannot wait for the new one I have awaiting me in Heaven:)
lisa

Shonni said...

Oh my!!! This was was beautiful.
Funny, I also sing “You are my sunshine” to my children. They love it.
Precious memories!!!

Sean and Lisa said...

Tears. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Thank you God for bringing this sweet boy home to his momma with a beautiful voice and his precious family!!
Much love!

Karen said...

Beautiful!

Jodi said...

what a nice post, and a sweet little girl you have. She has a tender heart and there is nothing greater than that!

Kristin Ferguson said...

Kathie I was cracking up at first thinking of you as Maria in the Sound of Music! My daughter, Josi and I watch that a lot and we sing the songs together a lot too! :)

Then of course I ended your post in tears over the sweetness of Ava's heart and the even more tear-producing comments from Daniel. What a treasure he is.

Kristin

natali said...

that is beautiful.

Becky said...

Your pleasant words were sweet to my soul!! I am so happy for Daniel. May God continue to bless you and your precious children!!

Teri said...

One of my favorite songs of all times. Sweet Daniel's little comment brought tears to my eyes. He has such an amazing heart and spirit. Hugs to him from all of us!