Monday, April 5, 2010

Toxic Fumes and Other Hazards of Easter Shopping

I have not done a "Not Me Monday" in a while, but the past few days have given me too many moments to NOT share. (This confessing of things we would NEVER do was started by MckMama. Click the bloggy button below to join the fun and read other things that people did NOT do.)



I did NOT play an April Fool's joke on myself by taking four children shopping last week for Easter Sunday apparel. (And one of my children is recently adopted and had never been to a department store.)

I did NOT have two boys punch a whole rack of brassieres till the cups were concave as we walked past the lingerie department.

I did NOT have a son with digestive issues--backfiring more than a 1976 Chevy pick-up. Let's just say that he would not pass an emissions inspection. (I don't understand how a boy who spent the first 9 years of his life eating nothing but beans and rice has such trouble with a diet full of fruits and veggies.)

I did NOT have two daughters who seemed to pick only the clothes that were not on sale to want "so, so badly."

I did NOT have a daughter fall in love with a pair of denim shorts that looked like they had been ripped in an industrial accident and I did NOT have to convince this daughter that "distressed" was not a look we needed the fashion world to help us achieve.

I did NOT pray aloud as we passed the fine china department that if we got out of there without breaking something I'd never ask God for another thing.

My gassy guy did NOT clear the dressing room with his toxic fumes that could be both heard and smelled. And I was NOT massively embarrassed that there was a poor customer who said, "Good Lord!" as she exited half-dressed. (And I was NOT just a bit happy that we didn't have to wait to try on our clothes.)

I did NOT have three out of four of my kiddos (inspired by the music from the juniors department) burst into singing Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" in Alvin and the Chipmunks voices.

I did NOT have all my children moan that their legs would certainly fall off if they had to take another step.

But I WAS grateful that I finally had Daniel home for his first Easter with our family. I was grateful to be so blessed with such an easy life that taking my kids shopping was the hardest part of my day. And I was certainly grateful to leave the mall hand-in-hand with my precious (although sometimes stinky) kids.

Banned From Belks,
Kathie

7 comments:

Kat said...

Nope, never had any of those things happen (more than a couple of times ;))

Totally laughing...

Janna said...

Oh boy that's an adventure to remember!

Karen said...

O my gosh I wish I could have been a fly in your pocket to see this sight, although I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at the time, I hope it's funny to you now. blessings, kare

Karies place said...

I'm new to your blog, but loved reading about your shopping trip. I try to avoid taking all 3 of my kids if I ever can. :)

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I'm following from MBC GFC. I have a new address that I just mentioned over there, www.creativemadnessmama.com so please follow there. Thanks! I hope to get to know you soon. *grin*

sierrasmom said...

OK!!! This post did not make me cry but I am laughing hysterically...may still need the tissues!!
Kathie

Kim said...

So funny! Glad it is a funny memory to you now. You will treasure it as the years pass!