Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Divine 911

I first have to say that the comments you guys leave are better than the actual posts. Thanks for taking the time to write!
It's Sunday dinner time again. For any new readers, the inspiration behind it is here. But in a nutshell, it's a dinner of scripture with a dessert of song.

I must share a little story before I serve "dinner". The other day, I was reviewing personal info. with the boys to make sure they knew their phone number, address, etc. I told them about 911 and explained that if there was ever an emergency, that was the number to call. Their eyes grew bigger as I explained that by just dialing those 3 numbers, they could have a fire truck, an ambulance, and a police car at our house in minutes. They both responded with "cool".

A couple days later, Brady hurt his leg when he was skipping through the kitchen and hit it on the corner of the opened dishwasher door. He moaned and rolled on the floor in agony. Daniel and I came to his aid and Daniel asked, "Mom, do you want me to call 911?!" I tried not too laugh. His concern for his brother was so sweet. I also knew he was just itching to summons every emergency vehicle within a ten mile radius.

Once Brady's injury stopped hurting, I thought it best to clarify with the boys about WHEN we might need to call 911. I explained that, yes, Brady was hurt, but it was an injury that didn't need a doctor's help. I also reminded Daniel that when he broke his arm, it was an emergency so we took him to the ER. But since it wasn't life-threatening, Daddy was able to drive him and we didn't need an ambulance.

Thus started the quizzing of what would classify as necessary for a 911 call. Daniel asked, "If someone hits me in the head with a baseball bat and my head splits open and one eye is hanging out . . . would we call 911?"

I answered yes and let him know that someone would also need to request help for Mom who would certainly be out cold.

Brady didn't want to be outdone so he piped up with, "Okay, what if I'm carrying something really heavy, and my arms rip right off my body and they are gushing out blood . . . would we call 911?"
Oh goodness, my boys are going to grow up to either create horror movies or cartoons.

This really disgusting lunchtime conversation went on for a few minutes . . . each time they were so pleased to come up with a scenario worthy of emergency care. They egged each other on with, "Ooooo, that's a good one!"

Then it got me thinking. I asked the boys, "What kind of emergency do you need to have to call on God for help?" Long pause with tune from "Jeopardy" playing in the background. (Apparently this game wasn't as fun.)
They finally answered with "Anything!" I reminded with, "There is no request too big or too small. We can ask God for help any time."

This week's dinner of scripture is:

"In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me."

Psalm 86:7, NIV

"Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "

Isaiah 58:9, NIV

There are many great verses on calling on God and calling out His name, but these are two of my favorites. I've called out God's name a lot this weekend. We have dear friends, the Montes family, who left this morning for Guatemala to try to convince a government to let them complete their adoption of a little boy who has been their son in their hearts for almost 3 years. I've been calling God's name for a bloggy friend Linny, as her husband has gotten terribly sick while on a mission trip to Uganda. And we attended a prayer time tonight for a dear man named Tony battling cancer.

And in the midst of these "emergencies", I've prayed that God would soften my children's hearts this morning at church to hear the message being shared. I've prayed that God would help me to have wisdom and patience through this busy weekend. Don't we have a good God who can listen to the urgent and not-so-urgent at the same time? He never has to put our requests on hold because someone else has a greater need. We don't have to reach a level of emergency for God to care. I'm going to have to borrow my sons' comment and just say "cool".

This week's dessert of song is "Your Name"--this version is sung by two of my favorite artists, Phil Wickham and Paul Baloche. As you go about your week, may you remember that you can call His name for any need and He will answer.

More Than Lots,
Kathie

No comments: