Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday Dinner: Psalm 23:2/"You're Beautiful"

It’s Sunday dinner again. (For those of you who didn’t dine with us last week, the idea behind this very low cal buffet is explained in last Sunday’s post.) I do need to warn you--on busy weekends dinner may become a midnight snack (but I will try to post some time on the Lord’s day).

This week’s verse is:

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters.

Psalm 23:2


The key to getting the most nourishment out of this verse, is taking a peek at the first few words of the next one. “He restores my soul.” I just love the word “restoration” and the images that it brings. If our Shepherd is bringing us to green pastures and still waters for restoration, then I’m guessing we’ve spent some time in barren deserts and turbulent waters. And the funny thing is, we can’t truly understand the peace and refreshment that comes from these pastures and calm waters if we haven’t endured life’s deserts and storms.

Until we’ve known profound hunger, we can’t understand the blessing of being full. Until we’ve known profound need, we can’t appreciate the gift of having plenty. Until we’ve known profound sickness, we can’t rejoice in the gift of being well. Until we’ve experienced profound sorrow, we can’t understand overwhelming joy. Until we’ve grieved at the foot of the cross, we can’t celebrate at the empty tomb!

And this, my friends, is the blessing that is brokenness.

Once you have felt so broken that you think you will never heal, then are completely restored through God’s goodness and mercy, that is when you will lie down in green pastures and splash cool spring water on your face and squeal, “God, YOU ARE SO GOOD TO ME!”

You will then see God’s face in every sunset, hear His voice in the ocean waves crashing on the shore, feel His breath with each breeze, and see His majesty in the stars.

So today’s dessert is a song called, “You’re Beautiful” by Phil Wickham. It’s all about seeing God’s beauty in everything. I stumbled upon his music doing an i-Tunes scavenger hunt for something new to listen to and all his songs are just as powerful. I cried my make-up off the first time I heard this and haven’t tired of it yet. (My daughter Ava danced to it at her school and church talent shows--pic below. By then, I knew to go with waterproof mascara.)




Below is a video some talented person put together for the song. There’s another one on You Tube with the lyrics that is also very good. (My kiddos voted on posting this one--so it won.) Remember to pause the playlist at the bottom so you won’t hear both at the same time.



Thanks for joining us for dinner. (Don’t worry about the dishes.) May you see His face everywhere you go. Have a blessed week.

Still Saying Grace,
Kathie

1 comment:

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Kathie,
What beautiful words from a heart that has walked with the Savior.

I found your blog from Linny's.

I have known the pain of waiting for a precious child to be in my arms.

Praying for you, too, here in south Georgia,
Robbie